During Hispanic Heritage Month, National Journal and The Atlantic will consider the steps needed to grow the involvement of the Hispanic community in STEM fields.
A New America: Richmond
Richmond, Virginia / April 16, 2014
On April 16th, The Atlantic and National Journal hosted the third in a series of town hall events on how Millennials are engaging in entrepreneurship and service. Government officials, entrepreneurs, and Millennials themselves gathered in Richmond, VA to share insights on how this influential generation is choosing to pursue impactful careers.
Millennials are on track to be the most educated, the most connected, and the most wired generation, with a bent for entrepreneurship and service. Evidence shows that Millennials may represent the tipping point generation in America, whose preferences and priorities are setting the direction for public and private life over the decades ahead. They are, by far, the most diverse generation in American history, with non-whites comprising about 40 percent. Richmond, VA has become a hub for Millennials and millennial entrepreneurs; the city's open and collaborative business climate has turned it into a unique entrepreneurship incubator.
The Atlantic and National Journal traveled to Richmond, VA, on April 16th for the third in a series of town hall events on how Millenials are engaging in entrepreneurship and service. Government officials, entrepreneurs, and Millennials themselves will share insights on how this influential generation is choosing to pursue impactful careers.
3:00pm Opening Remarks: Tim Hartman, CEO, Atlantic Media’s Washington Divisions
3:05pm Opening Remarks: Fred Humphries, Vice President, U.S. Government Affairs, Microsoft
3:10pm Opening Remarks: Dr. Edward Ayers, President, University of Richmond
3:15pm Keynote Interview: Senator Tim Kaine
3:50pm Panel Discussion: Entrepreneurship for the Startup Generation
4:20pm Panel Discussion: Starting by Serving: Millennials and National Service
4:55pm Panel Discussion: What Do Students Think?
5:05pm Closing remarks: Tim Hartman, CEO, Atlantic Media’s Washington Divisions
- Tim Kaine D-VA United States Senate Follow @timkaine
- Larkin Garbee Chief Imagination Officer 804RVA Follow @iAmLarkin
- Lauren Grainger WC '14 Founder LineGuard
- Brad Groves RC '15 President Richmond College Student Government Follow @RCSGASenate
- Mark Hanis Director, Beeck Center for Social Impact and Innovation Georgetown University Follow @MarkHanis
- Clayton Helms RC '15 Editor-in-Chief The Collegian
- Asim Mishra Chief of Staff Corporation for National and Community Service
- Mimi Mudd WC '14 Former President Westhampton College Student Government Follow @MimiMudd
- Jeff Rock Co-Founder Mobelux Follow @jeffrock
- Paul Singh Founder Disruption Corporation Follow @paulsingh
- Lieutenant Colonel Mark Thomson Professor of Military Science; Chair, Department of Military Science and Leadership University of Richmond
- Ron Brownstein Senior Editorial Director Atlantic Media Follow @RonBrownstein
- David Graham Senior Associate Editor The Atlantic Follow @GrahamDavidA