December’s climate talks in Paris were historic diplomacy — almost 200 nations committed to reducing greenhouse gases. And now the question is: how? We explored how cities around the globe are working to become more sustainable and efficient — from buildings to transportation and everyday goods — to meet the demands of growing populations and keep urban arteries pumping. How can new technology answer the challenge? How will urban planners, developers and policy makers work together to transform cities from the inside out, as their populations grow and travel in an ever more connected world?
To see photos from this event, please visit our Facebook page.
Note: All times are ET
- Thursday, February 18
- 8:30 a.m.Welcome RemarksMargaret Low Smith, President, AtlanticLIVE
- 8:35 a.m.Linking Business with Sustainable Urbanization: A CEO Perspective, Sponsor Content Presented by United Technologies CorporationGregory Hayes, President and Chief Executive Officer, United Technologies Corporation
With Matthew Bishop, Senior Editor, The Economist Group
- 8:45 a.m.Transforming Cities from the Inside OutJoe Allen, Director of the Healthy Buildings Program, Harvard Center for Health and the Global Environment
Nilda Mesa, Director, NYC Mayor’s Office of Sustainability
Russell Unger, Executive Director, Urban Green
With Steve Clemons, Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
- 9:15 a.m.A Blueprint for Growing CitiesMaria Aiolova, Director of Global Programs, CIEE, and Co-Founder, Terreform ONE
Gary Handel, President, Handel Architects LLP
Sharon Pinkerton, Senior Vice President, Legislative and Regulatory Policy, Airlines For America
With Steve Clemons
- 9:45 a.m.No Food Left BehindDan Barber, Chef, Blue Hill and Founder, wastED
With Steve Clemons
- 10:05 a.m.Closing RemarksMargaret Low Smith
We The People
Featuring Bret Baier
and The Atlantic's Steve Clemons
In a series of conversations, The Atlantic will explore civitas, the contract binding all citizens together, and talk to leaders of business, politics and society who are striving to make our Union a little more perfect.
Aspen Ideas Festival 2017
The Aspen Ideas Festival is the nation's premier public gathering place for leaders from around the globe and across many disciplines to present and discuss the ideas and issues that both shape our lives and challenge our times.