The Atlantic's annual Food Summit explored topics such as consumer behavior, health & nutrition, and sustainable agriculture.
Washington, District of Columbia / May 24, 2012
The Atlantic's third annual Food Summit explored the topics of consumer behavior, health and nutrition, and sustainable agriculture.
As the nation works to promote more sustainable food production, enhance government oversight over the food industry, and control the obesity epidemic, The Atlantic gathered food policy luminaries, notable chefs, and public health officials to shed light on these important themes.
Hosted on May 24, 2012 by Atlantic Senior Editor and James Beard award-winning food writer Corby Kummer, The Atlantic's third annual Food Summit featured important conversation on food production, consumption, and regulation. Event attendees, as well as those watching online, joined in the discussions using the hashtag #AtlanticFood. Atlantic editor Brian Fung recapped the Tweets. For highlights and insights from the event, visit Corby Kummer's blog post on TheAtlantic.com.
Headline Interview: Martha Stewart, Founder, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
Panel 1: Feeding A World of 9 Billion—Sustainably
Headline Interview - Mario Batali, Chef, Restaurateur, Author, and Television Personality
Panel 2: Learning at a Young Age: Childhood Nutrition and the Obesity Epidemic
Headline Interview: Kirsten Tobey, Co-Founder and Chief Innovation Officer, Revolution Foods
Keynote Speech: Kathleen Merrigan, Deputy Secretary, United States Department of Agriculture
- Mario Batali Critically acclaimed chef, restaurateur, award-winning author, and television personality Official Website
- Steve Clemons Editor-in-Chief, AtlanticLIVE, and Washington Editor-at-Large The Atlantic
- Clive Crook Senior Editor The Atlantic
- Jennifer Grossman Senior Vice President Dole Nutrition Institute
- Gary Hall, Sr. Three-Time US Olympian, and Executive Director World Fit Foundation
- Marilyn Knox Chief Executive Officer; Regional Business Head The Gerber Products Company; Nestlé Infant Nutrition North America
- Elaine Kolish Vice President and Director, Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative Council of Better Business Bureaus
- Corby Kummer Senior Editor The Atlantic
- Rick Leach President and Chief Executive Officer World Food Program USA
- Kathleen Merrigan Deputy Secretary U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Chris Novak Chief Executive Officer National Pork Board
- Robert Paarlberg Associate, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University and Betty Freyhof Johnson Class of 1944 Professor of Political Science Wellesley College
- Mark "Coach" Smallwood Executive Director Rodale Institute
- Martha Stewart Founder Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
- Kirsten Tobey Co-Founder and Chief Innovation Officer Revolution Foods
- Margo Wootan Director, Nutrition Policy Center for Science in the Public Interest
- Jocelyn Zuckerman Executive Editor, Whole Living, and Adjunct Professor Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism