The skills gap is a well-known phenomenon: while unemployment remains a stubborn reality, employers across sectors have trouble finding workers with the skills they need to make their businesses prosper. In many ways, the problem is a local one, requiring close public-private partnerships between educational institutions, metropolitan governments and businesses to identify absent skills and include them in worker education and training initiatives. The Atlantic hosted a town hall event where we spoke to municipal officials, educators and business leaders about pathways for urban areas to close the skills gap.
9:00 a.m. Welcome Remarks
- Margaret Low Smith, Vice President, The Atlantic, and President, AtlanticLIVE
- Peter Scher, Head of Corporate Responsibility, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
9:08 a.m. Headline Interview
- The Honorable Kasim Reed, Mayor, Atlanta
- Interviewed By: James Fallows, National Correspondent, The Atlantic
9:40 a.m. Networking Break
9:45 a.m. Presentation: Helping D.C. Help Itself
- Mike Curtin, Chief Executive Officer, DC Central Kitchen
10:05 a.m. Sponsor Content: Brought to you by JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Kisha Bird, Interim Director, Youth, CLASP
- Michael Gritton, Executive Director, KentuckianaWorks
- Chauncy Lennon, Head of Workforce Initiatives, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
10:20 a.m. Live Attendee Poll
10:25 a.m. Leveling the Playing Field
- The Honorable Betsy Hodges, Mayor, Minneapolis
- The Honorable Richard Buery, Deputy Mayor for Strategic Policy Initiatives, New York City
- Interviewed By: Sommer Mathis, Editor, CityLab
11:05 a.m. Trends in Manufacturing
- Matthew Burnett, Co-Founder, Maker’s Row
- Tanya Menendez, Co-Founder, Maker’s Row
- The Honorable Nan Whaley, Mayor, Dayton
- Moderated By: James Fallows
11:40 a.m. Employment and Training After High School
- Melody Barnes, Chair, Aspen Forum for Community Solutions
- Freeman Hrabowski, President, University of Maryland Baltimore County
- Moderated By: Steve Clemons, Washington Editor-at-Large, The Atlantic
12:10 a.m. Closing Remarks
- Bob Cohn, Co-President and Chief Operating Officer, The Atlantic
Also in This Series
City Makers Summit
The Atlantic explored how technological growth contributes to – or curtails – workforce development in dense urban areas. The day’s conversations will cover topics like job training and education, inequality and the rise of Dallas entrepreneurship and corporate innovation.
City Makers Summit
For the second event in our City Makers series, The Atlantic hosted a half-day forum, underwritten by JPMorgan Chase & Co., to discuss how cities are using technology to tackle urban issues.
Aspen Ideas Festival 2017
The Aspen Ideas Festival is the nation's premier public gathering place for leaders from around the globe and across many disciplines to present and discuss the ideas and issues that both shape our lives and challenge our times.