The first event in the Bold Bets series convened California stakeholders in policy and economic development to consider the key infrastructure projects changing the landscape of mass movement. California has taken center stage in the transportation conversation, positioning itself at the forefront of innovation in highways, railroads, airports and urban metro systems. Our program looked toward the economic impact of investment and the potential value of developing these vital infrastructures. Is California, in fact, on the move? — and where may it be headed?
5:00 p.m. Welcome Remarks
- Margaret Low Smith, President, AtlanticLIVE
- Michael Cahill, President, Rail Systems Division, Siemens Industry, Inc.
5:10 p.m. Cafe Conversation
- Rusty Bailey, Mayor, City of Riverside, CA
- Mike McCoy, Executive Director, California Strategic Growth Council
- Sean Randolph, President and CEO, Bay Area Council Economic Institute
- Moderated by: Steve Clemons, Washington Editor-at-Large, The Atlantic
5:35 p.m. Video Interview
- Carlos Monje, Counselor to the Secretary, U.S. Department of Transportation
- Interviewed by: James Fallows, National Correspondent, The Atlantic
5:55 p.m. Panel Discussion
- Peter Haas, Education Director, Mineta Transportation Institute
- Julian Potter, Chief Administration and Policy Officer, San Francisco International Airport
- Ellen Smith, Manager, Strategic Planning, Bay Area Rapid Transit
- Moderated by: Melanie Curry, California Reporter, Streetsblog
6:25 p.m. Headline Interview
- Dan Richard, Board Chair, California High-Speed Rail Authority
- Interviewed by: James Fallows
7:00 p.m. Closing Remarks and Program Conclusion
Also in This Series
Bold Bets: Tomorrow's Industrial Entrepreneurship (And How Everything Will Change)
For the third event in the Bold Bets series, The Atlantic traveled to the Bay Area to explore innovations in manufacturing and production.
We The People
Featuring Bret Baier
and The Atlantic's Steve Clemons
In a series of conversations, The Atlantic will explore civitas, the contract binding all citizens together, and talk to leaders of business, politics and society who are striving to make our Union a little more perfect.
Aspen Ideas Festival 2017
The Aspen Ideas Festival is the nation's premier public gathering place for leaders from around the globe and across many disciplines to present and discuss the ideas and issues that both shape our lives and challenge our times.