During Hispanic Heritage Month, National Journal and The Atlantic considered the steps needed to grow the involvement of the Hispanic community in STEM fields.
A New America: Washington, D.C.
Washington, District of Columbia / May 21, 2014
The Atlantic and National Journal hosted the fourth and final event in a series of town hall events on how millennials are engaging in entrepreneurship and service. Government officials, entrepreneurs, and millennials themselves shared insights on how this influential generation is choosing to pursue meaningful careers.
For the millennial generation, these may truly be the best and worst of times. millennials are well educated, highly connected, and the most diverse generation in American history. They have been characterized by resilience, creativity and cooperation. Millennials have taken to entrepreneurship, service, and the sciences in an attempt to improve the lives of those around them, yet, they are confronting almost unprecedented headwinds with a stagnant labor market, stalled wages, and rising educational debts.
National Journal and The Atlantic concluded our unprecedented series, "A New America: How Millennials Are Sparking Change," on the economic opportunities and challenges facing this vast generation. The event featured insights from millennials, government officials, and more. Together, we explored how millennials are responding to their generational challenges, how they are best positioning themselves for success, and why they are more engaged in social, than political activism.
Microsoft Innovation & Policy Center
11th Floor, TechLab
901 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
- James Brown Executive Director STEM Education Coalition Follow @StemEdCoalition
- Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) United States House of Representatives Follow @Tulsigabbard
- Andrew Hanson Research Analyst, Center on Education and the Workforce Georgetown University
- Neil Howe Founding Partner and President Life Course Associates Follow @lifecourse
- Martha Ross Fellow Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program
- Aaron Schock (R-IL) United States House of Representatives Follow @RepAaronSchock
- Susannah Wellford Founder and Chair of the Board Running Start Follow @rsprez