• 1 large clove of garlic
• 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (approximately)
• 1 lemon for juicing
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 head of romaine, cut into 2-inch-wide strips, washed and covered in a damp towel and left to crisp in the refrigerator for half an hour
• 1 scallion slivered
• 1 cucumber peeled and cut into half-moons
• 3 radishes, cut into eights
Crush the garlic clove with the back of a kitchen knife and place in the bowl. Now crush the garlic with the salt in the bowl to make a paste. Whisk the lemon juice in and then the olive oil. Traditionally this was served over just super crisp cut Romaine, but I like to add cucumbers, scallions, and radishes to the salad as well. Once the salad is dressed you should eat it immediately, although when we make it at home if there are any leftovers my mother saves them for her breakfast!
To read Sara's piece about the importance of real olive oil, click here.
This article available online at: