• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• 1 leek, light green and white parts only, thinly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
• 3 cups cauliflower florets, trimmed
• 4 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
• bouquet garni (bay leaf, two sprigs of thyme, a teaspoon of black peppercorns, and three stalks of parsley in a cheesecloth bundle)
• ½ cup milk
Sweat out onion, leek, garlic and celery in olive oil until onions are translucent and soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add cauliflower and cook until florets begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
Add chicken stock to cover, throw in bouquet garni, and bring to a boil. Then lower to a simmer and cook until cauliflower is completely soft, about half an hour.
Add milk and blend.
Taste for seasoning, and serve.
To read Sophie Brickman's post on using her blender to make memorable soups, click here.
This article available online at: