Makes 8 servings.
• 1 pound diced andouille sausage
• 2 cups diced onion
• 1 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
• 1/2 cup diced green onion
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
• 3 cups diced tomatoes in juice
• 1 cup tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup dark roux (see below)
• 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning salt
• 3 pounds shrimp
Make the dark roux:
In a heavy iron skillet brown equal amounts of oil and flour and stir until chocolate brown. (You can sometimes purchase pre-made roux from the market, and it is very good.)
Make the Creole sauce:
In a large sauce pan brown the diced andouille, onion and bell pepper. Sautée for 2 minutes. Add green onions, garlic, and basil. Cook for another minute. Add the diced tomatoes in juice, and tomato sauce.
Assemble the dish:
In a separate pan dissolve the roux with 1 cup of water and add to the creole sauce.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning salt to start. You will have to add to taste because all the brands have a different salt content. Just season and taste as you go.
Let the sauce simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. You will add the shrimp just before serving.
Serve over Savory Grits.
This article available online at: