Photo by Margaret Tung
• 1 15 oz. can unseasoned black beans (organic)
• 1 3.5 oz container of Greek Yogurt (Stonyfield Organic)
• 6 tablespoons Organic and Fair Trade baking cocoa
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 4 cage-free, organically fed eggs
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 locally grown pear for garnish (in season!)
Preheat oven to 325 F. Rinse the beans and puree them with the vanilla extract in a blender. If the mixture stalls, add a little bit of water to help it along.
In a bowl, mix together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and yogurt together.
Add the bean puree to the egg, sugar, and yogurt mixture until well-mixed.
Gently mix in the cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
Grease a 9-inch cake pan and pour the batter in. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
This article available online at: