Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep: 30-40 minutes
Cook Time: 5-7 minutes
For the fish:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about one medium-sized lime's worth)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 pound of flaky white fish fillet (something like tilapia or halibut)
For the chipotle cream:
• 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek
• 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 2 teaspoons Chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce (I tend to just use about one and a half or two of the peppers, plus a little extra sauce, but I prefer things on the spicier side)
• 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
• 1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage or lettuce
• 1/2 cup corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
• 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
• Lime wedges
In a medium-large bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Pour over the fish fillets (I've used tilapia both times, which seems to work really well in this context and is pretty cheap/readily available), and let marinate for 30-40 minutes. If you can get Greek yogurt, this next step isn't required, but if you can only find normal yogurt put it into a strainer lined with a paper towel and drain/thicken it over a bowl for about 20 minutes.
Combine the Greek or thickened yogurt with the oil/lime juice mixture, and add the mayonnaise and chipotle pepper (I usually use a little more chipotle than required, and some of the extra sauce too, but I prefer things spicier than recipes tend to call for). Then mix in the shredded lettuce/cabbage, corn, and some of the cilantro, and set aside.
Remove the fish from the marinade after 30-40 minutes, and cook in a pan (either with a little olive oil in it or some Pam spray--just something to keep the fish from burning or sticking) over a medium-high heat until cooked thorough, about 3 minutes per side. Set the fish aside on a plate for 5 minutes.
Heat the tortillas on the grill or grill pan (or in the oven if you want) until they're warmed. Flake the fish with a fork, and add into the bowl with all the other ingredients and mix up-theoretically, you can leave the fish, chipotle cream, and corn and cabbage separate, but I found it easier to serve, and there was less to clean up if you combine it all. Top each tortilla with the fish mixture, and garnish with the extra cilantro and squeeze on the lime wedges.
This article available online at: