It's Time to Change the Batteries in Your Carbon Monoxide Detector

Detectors can help to prevent the 400 deaths that occur every year from CO poisoning, but only if you remember to keep them working

CarbonMonoxide-Post.jpg

Daylight Savings Time ended last weekend. That means along with setting the clocks back one hour, you should have changed the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector. And if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector, it's a good time to buy one. It might save your life.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that's odorless as well as colorless. Without a detector, there's no way to tell that it's building up until it's too late.

Some carbon monoxide is produced whenever fuel is burned. Outdoors, it can disperse. Indoors, it doesn't and can build up to toxic levels when fuel burning appliances malfunction. A faulty heater was behind the CO poisoning death of tennis player Vitas Guerulaitis. Many poisonings occur during power outages, when people use gasoline-powered generators or burn other fuels inside the house that they normally don't, such as charcoal or wood. The CDC estimates that over 400 people die a year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Detectors can prevent these deaths, but only if people remember to change the batteries and keep them working. And just as people forget their keys, they forget to change the batteries. So changing them when you set the clocks back in the fall and ahead in the spring is an easy way to take care of that problem.

Carbon monoxide detectors are great insurance but they're no substitute for having fireplaces and fuel-burning appliances -- including furnaces, water heaters, ranges, ovens, and wood stoves -- inspected by a trained professional every year.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, and confusion. Anyone who suspects that they have been poisoned by carbon monoxide should immediately go outdoors into the fresh air and then call 9-1-1.

Most deaths from carbon monoxide are preventable. Some tips to prevent them are:

  • Don't run or idle the car in a garage -- even if the garage door to the outside is open. Fumes can build up very quickly.
  • Don't use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
  • Don't ever use a charcoal grill indoors -- even in a fireplace.
  • Don't use gasoline-powered engines (generators, mowers, weed trimmers, snow blowers, or chain saws) in enclosed spaces.
  • Never ignore the alarm on a carbon monoxide detector when it goes off.
  • Woodstoves should be properly ventilated; wood smoke in a closed-up home can also cause CO poisoning.

More information about carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide detectors is available at the CDC and EPA websites.

Image: Creations/Shutterstock.


This article originally appeared on TheDoctorWillSeeYouNow.com, an Atlantic partner site.

Presented by

How to Cook Spaghetti Squash (and Why)

Cooking for yourself is one of the surest ways to eat well. Bestselling author Mark Bittman teaches James Hamblin the recipe that everyone is Googling.

Join the Discussion

After you comment, click Post. If you’re not already logged in you will be asked to log in or register.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Video

How to Cook Spaghetti Squash (and Why)

Cooking for yourself is one of the surest ways to eat well.

Video

Before Tinder, a Tree

Looking for your soulmate? Write a letter to the "Bridegroom's Oak" in Germany.

Video

The Health Benefits of Going Outside

People spend too much time indoors. One solution: ecotherapy.

Video

Where High Tech Meets the 1950s

Why did Green Bank, West Virginia, ban wireless signals? For science.

Video

Yes, Quidditch Is Real

How J.K. Rowling's magical sport spread from Hogwarts to college campuses

Video

Would You Live in a Treehouse?

A treehouse can be an ideal office space, vacation rental, and way of reconnecting with your youth.

More in Health

Just In