A classic summer dessert, with the addition of candied ginger.
For the cobbler dough:
• 2 cups all purpose flour • 1/2 cup butter
• 1/2 cup Crisco • 1 egg yolk
• 1/4 cup cold cream • ½ cup sugar for dough
• ¼ cup sugar to blend with 1 tablespoon candied ginger for top of dough
• ice water if you need a touch more liquid to bind dough
In food processor, add flour and ½ cup of sugar and blend. Cube butter and add Crisco, using the pulse button on the food processor until the butter and shortening are the size of nickels. Turn on, adding the cream to make a dough. Do not overmix ... and add a ½ teaspoon of ice water at a time to get a workable dough if the dough is too dry with just cream.
For the peach filling:
• 6 cups peeled, sliced peaches • 1 cup white sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar • ¼ cup cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon flour • 3 tablespoon butter
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons candied ginger
In large metal mixing bowl, add peaches. In blender or food processor, blend white sugar and candied ginger with cinnamon. Add brown sugar to peaches, then flour, butter, and white sugar-and-spice mix. Toss all ingredients until peaches are evenly coated. Pour into a 9-by-12-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Roll out cobbler dough and cover the top with the edges slightly over the pan. Sprinkle with the ¼ cup of sugar with the candied ginger in it. Bake at 350 F for 55 to 65 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream on top—peach ice cream, caramel, cinnamon, or good vanilla.
To read about how Regina selects and ripens the peaches she uses for summer desserts, click here.