Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis' recipe for Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup from Giada's Kitchen.
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ large onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
• 2 fifteen-ounce cans cannellini or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
• 4 green onions, sliced thin
• 4 cups chicken broth
• ½ cup heavy cream
• salt and pepper to taste
Place a medium, heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add butter, olive oil, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened. Add the thyme, beans, garlic, and green onions and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook gently for 15 minutes.
Puree half the soup in a blender or food processor, then return to the pot. Stir in cream and salt and pepper. Reheat slowly, over low heat.
To read Eleanor Barkhorn's post about preparing this recipe after the D.C. snowpocalypse, click here.