• 2 hot Italian sausages and 2 sweet Italian sausages, taken out of casings and mixed together
• 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1, 28-ounce can diced plum tomatoes
• ½ cup chopped basil leaves
• ¼ cup red wine
• 1/3 cup heavy cream
• Truffle oil
• ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sweat the onions and garlic over medium heat until soft and translucent, but without color.
Add the sausage and cook over medium heat until entirely cooked through (approximately 10 minutes). Smash the sausage with your spoon as it cooks to break it up. You want it to crumble.
Tilt the pan and try to remove as much excess fat as possible, then deglaze with red wine: Pour in the wine and scrape up any bits of meat stuck to the pan, and then cook down until you can barely see the wine.
Add tomatoes and basil and simmer approximately 20 minutes, or until the flavors have come together.
Right before serving, add cream, cheese, and a drizzle of truffle oil. Mix together and taste. Add salt or cheese if necessary.