Photo by Aglaia Kremezi
This pink beet tzatziki is an ideal side dish to serve with grilled lamb, chicken, or fish. As an alternative to the traditional pita bread, I prefer to spread it on toasted whole wheat or multi-grain bread, rubbed with a cut clove of garlic.
Makes about 3 cups.
• 4-5 large cooked and peeled beets, diced
• (If you life, add chopped, cooked beet stems and greens to diced beats)
• 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• ½ cup dill, chopped
• 3 cups thick yogurt
• 2-3 garlic cloves, minced, to taste
• 1-2 jalapenos, finely chopped
• 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Sumac to sprinkle (optional)
• Borage flowers, for garnish (optional)
In a bowl, combine the beets (and greens, if using) with the parsley, dill, yogurt, garlic, chilies, and lemon juice, stirring well. Add salt and taste. Adjust seasoning with more salt, lemon and a black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Spread on toasts and serve as an appetizer, or transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with sumac, decorating with borage flowers, if you like.