The coroner for Amy Winehouse has released her official word on the British singer-songwriter's cause of death: "death by misadventure," meaning that she "died as the unintended consequence of drinking too much alcohol," the AP is reporting. The 27-year-old, whose storied history of drug and alcohol abuse become fodder for songs of hers like "Rehab" and who had checked back into rehabilitation in May, died suddenly on July 23 in what was suspected to be a substance overdose. Though no traces of illegal drugs were found in her system, Winehouse had "416 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, according to the findings of an inquest into her death, compared with the legal driving limit of 80 mg"--five times the legal limit, according to Reuters. Today's report follows inconclusive autopsy results on Winehouse released in August.
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.