Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: What European notables gave Giulia Bruni-Sarkozy, Prince Harry is shopping at Wal-Mart and maybe making time with girls with "burly" boyfriends, and Prince Daniel drops by a D.C. public school.
- Some of the more notable gifts received by one-week old Giulia Bruni-Sarkozi include "a Steiff Schlaf-Gut-Bar – an 11-in.-tall 'Sleep-Well-Bear' who wears a distinctive striped blue onesie and comes from the fabled German firm's baby collection," courtesy of Angela Merkel. Morocco's King Mohamed V reportedly sent "a massive basket of white orchids," while former French first lady Bernadette Chirac sent the newborn "a smoke-colored robe from Baby Dior." Husband Jacques opted to write the baby a letter. [People]
- Yesterday we heard that J. Crew president Jenna Lyons "has fallen in love with another woman who also works in the fashion business" in the wake of her nasty divorce from artist Vincent Mazeau. According to Page Six, the object of her affection is Courtney Crangi, described as "an attractive blonde" who's also "the business brains behind her brother, hip celebrity jeweler Philip Crangi." Apparently the two were always friends but after the breakup, realized they liked each other and have since "been spotted sharing romantic dinners at restaurants around the West Village and at some fashion events together." [Page Six]
- Prince Harry has had little difficulty playing the role of a gorging American during his visit to California for helicopter pilot finishing school: "In the early hours of Oct. 16, while bar hopping on a break from his helicopter training in El Centro, Calif., Prince Harry ate tacos from a food stand outisde a bar in nearby Del Mar. Later that morning, he ate bacon and eggs at Pipes Cafe in Cardiff-by-the-Sea." Most endearingly, he recently made a run to Wal-Mart, where he loaded up on "Coke, pizza, bananas and beer." [Us Weekly]
- Harry also may have a fun new American girlfriend named Jenna Donaldson, who kind of looks like Kate Middleton, except she has a giant flower tattoo on her side. The two first met at the Ivy nightclub earlier, where she's a bottle girl. But the prince reportedly has been passing time with her in a room at the Marriott Courtyard, when he "allegedly invited [her] to his hotel room after a late-night drinking session." A woman matching Donaldson's description was seen getting into a cab at around 6 a.m. the next morning. Donaldson and the prince have already been photographed hugging and maybe-kissing, though she blames that on a trick of the light. The news isn't likely to go over well with Donaldson's live-in boyfriend of three years, described by The Daily Mail as "a burly nightclub promoter." [The Daily Mail]
- Prince Daniel of Sweden visited Miner Elementary in Northeast D.C. yesterday to talk to students about being a prince. The setting was incongruous, but the exchanges were fascinating. A sample of some our favorite kid-to-price queries, with quotes supplied by The Reliable Source:
Kid A: "Do y'all live in a a castle?"
Prince: "Yeah, I do. A nice castle in a big park."
Kid B: "What is it like to be prince?
Prince: “It’s nice to be a prince. I mean, I had an opportunity to meet you here today, so that’s really delicious."
- Because inquiring minds want to know: Lindsay Lohan will apparently be going "the full monty" in her Playboy spread, not settling for "one of those lame semi-nude fiascos -- all sideboob, no fun." The shoot reportedly finished yesterday. And yes, Lohan reportedly did insist the full frontal shots be "tastefully done." [TMZ]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.