Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Charlize Theron is a secretive girlfriend, NBC staffers don't like their health plan, and Harvey Weinstein is getting out of the fashion business.
- Charlize Theron has been dating noted self-profiler and Green Lantern star Ryan Reynolds "for months" now, yet they haven't appeared together in public.That's because Theron wants to keep things "hush-hush," according to a source. "She won't go to an event with him," the source says. "That's not her style." [Page Six]
- "Non-essential" CNBC employees were sent home early yesterday after a water main burst near the network's "two-building campus" in the New Jersey town of Englewood Cliffs. Reportedly, those staffers who did have to finish out the day were "shuttled to another location to use the bathroom." [TV Newser]
- NBC employees are steamed up about new corporate overlord Comcast's medical plans and “complaining that their new health insurance doesn't offer the same level of benefits for psychotherapy.” (Comcast completed its $30 billion acquisition of NBC Universal in January.) “It’s just different,” said one NBC insider about the new plan. “There are more chances that a doctor is not in network, and there is a cost associated with that." And those shuttle trips to use the bathroom aren't much fun either. [Page Six]
- Harvey Weinstein is reportedly "sashaying away" from Halston, the fashion label he bought four years ago. The news comes a day after Sarah Jessica Parker told Vogue she'd be stepping down as chief creative office of Halston Heritage, "the lower-priced offshoot of the high-end Halston brand." [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Weeks after securing an unlikely acquittal for client Casey Anthony, Florida defense attorney Jose Baez was spotted last week in Manhattan having lunch with Geraldo Rivera "and, more importantly, Richard Hofstetter, a partner in the law firm of Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz and the head of its entertainment division...[and] works with clients to develop TV shows and other intellectual property." [Gatecrasher]
- Kiran Chetry is the latest departure from CNN. The American Morning co-anchor was reportedly "seen packing up her desk yesterday" and "has told colleagues that she plans to leave the network at the end of the month." [Page Six]
- Donald Rumsfeld was "very nice" during his security pat-down at O'Hare yesterday, according to "sources at the airport." [TMZ]
- "Three separate sources" say Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are "are planning a wedding set to take place within the next few months," possibly in a ceremony held at the "newly renovated Chateau Miraval in Correns, France (conveniently featuring a 16th-century chapel)." [US]
This article is from the archive of our partner The Wire.