What's on the lame duck docket? Some major bills, it turns out.
1. The Bush tax cuts
2. A defense authorization bill, which could include a repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell
3. The DREAM Act, which provides a path for children of illegal immigrants to earn legal status
4. The return of two old debates: unemployment benefits extension and the doc fix.
5. A renewable energy standard bill (see Atlantic FLASHCARD here)
6. A new tax relief bill from Sen. Max Baucus...
... plus a cybersecurity bill, and a bill to block EPA regulations, and a bill to scream about Chinese currency manipulation, and on it goes. Alexander Bolton has a nice summation in Roll Call.
October is going to be all political playbook and no work. But like a garden hose squeezed with the water running and then released, November is going to unleash a torrent of activity in what could be the most important, eventful, contentious lame duck session in generations.
This article available online at: